Call for papers for 2013 >>
On the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the International Institute of Social History (IISH) in 2010, the IISH and Dutch Newspaper de Volkskrant created an annual prize for the best master thesis written at a Dutch university, in the field of national or international history.
The thesis may be in Dutch or English. The jury will pay special attention to new subjects or new approaches.
The winner will be awarded a prize of € 1500. The best thesis will also receive extra attention in de Volkskrant and on the IISH website.
- Prof. Dr Judith Pollmann, Chair, Leiden University
- Prof. Dr Karin Hofmeester, International Institute of Social History
- Prof. Dr Jan Lucassen, International Institute of Social History
- Drs Aad Blok, International Institute of Social History
- Michiel van der Geest, de Volkskrant
Past years' winners:
- 2010: Marlous van Waijenburg, Living standards in British Africa in a comparative perspective, 1880 - 1945. Is poverty destiny?
- 2011: Joppe van Driel, Enlightening the matter of science – The anti-materialistic Enlightenment philosophy of Jean de Castillon (1709-1791)
- 2012: Floris Keehnen, Trinkets (f)or Treasure? The role of European material culture in intercultural contacts in Hispaniola during early colonial times
More information: Aukje Lettinga (IISH communication officer) Tel: +31 20 6685866 or email@example.com