On the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Institute in 2010, the IISH and Dutch Newspaper de Volkskrant created an annual prize for the best master thesis in the field of national or international history, written at a Dutch University.
The winner will be awarded a price of € 1500. The best thesis will receive attention in De Volkskrant.
From now on applications for the Volkskrant-IISH thesis award 2015 can be be sent in. Click here for more information.
- Prof. Dr Henk te Velde, Leiden University (Chair)
- Dr Leonie de Goei, Director Royal Netherlands Historical Society
- Prof. Dr Karin Hofmeester, International Institute of Social History
- Prof. Dr Jan Lucassen , International Institute of Social History
- Dr Matthias van Rossum, International Institute of Social History
- Dr Anna Tijsseling, International Institute of Social History
Past year's winners
- 2010: Marlous van Waijenburg, Living standards in British Africa in a comparative perspective, 1880 - 1945. Is poverty destiny?
- 2011: Joppe van Driel, Enlightening the matter of science – The anti-materialistic Enlightenment philosophy of Jean de Castillon (1709-1791)
- 2012: Floris Keehnen, Trinkets (f)or Treasure? The role of European material culture in intercultural contacts in Hispaniola during early colonial times
- 2013: Stefan Penders, Imperial waters. Roman river god art in context
- 2014: Daan de Leeuw, In the Name of Humanity. Nazi Doctors and Human Experiments in German Concentration Camps, 1939-1945
More information: Aukje Lettinga (IISH communications advisor) Tel: +31 20 6685866 or firstname.lastname@example.org