- 2014-present: PhD Candidate in Economic History, Dept. of History and Art History, Utrecht University, the Netherlands, "Global Poverty and Income Inequality in the long run", supervisor Prof. Dr. Jan Luiten van Zanden.
- 2012-2014: MSc in Multidisciplinary Economics (Research Master), Utrecht School of Economics, the Netherlands
- 2000-2002: MSc in Electronic Automation (Control Systems), Dept. of Physics & Informatics, University of Athens, Greece
- 1993-1999: BSc in Physics, Dept. of Physics, University of Athens, Greece
- Stegeman, Hans, Badir, Martijn, Rijpma, A. & Moatsos, M. (16.01.2017). Een indicator voor bredere welvaart voor Nederland. ESB
- Moatsos, M. (07.10.2016). Global Poverty - Scraping distributional data from the World Bank.
- Moatsos, M. (16.12.2016). Tracing global poverty paths, 1925-2010.
- Moatsos, M. (16.12.2015). Global Absolute Poverty: Behind the Veil of Dollars. (47 p.).
- Moatsos, Michail, Baten, Joerg, Foldvari, Peter, van Leeuwen, Bas & van Zanden, Jan Luiten (2014).Income inequality since 1820. In Jan Luiten van Zanden, Joerg Baten, Marco Mira d'Ercole, Auke Rijpma, Conal Smith & Marcel Timmer (Eds.), How Was Life? Global Well-being since 1820 (pp. 199–215). OECD Publishing.
I am interested in the long run evolution of income distribution and inequality, as well as that of poverty on a global scale. In my research I consider the role of prices as of essential importance in both the identification of global absolute poverty, and in the estimation of income inequality in real terms. I prefer delivering the poverty and inequality estimates as they ought to, which means with an appropriate error term. This is the reason I lately delve into Monte Carlo pseudo-experiments in order to investigate the statistical significance of the evolution in poverty and inequality.
An additional line of research interests, not unrelated to poverty and inequality, is the measurement and evolution of wellbeing using a composite index.
2017 - Scholarly publications
2016 - Other output
2015 - Scholarly publications
2014 - Scholarly publications