The Junta Pro-Desocupados (Unemployment Council, founded 1931) in Lima, Peru believed that adequate housing for workers could help stop the rise of militancy. A new worker housing project initiated by the junta was inaugurated in August 1931. Built on the old slaughterhouse grounds, the project included six small houses and 49 small apartments. Some 1400 workers were employed in the construction phase. The junta boasted on the quality of materials used (brick and Oregon pine) and the adequate provision of fresh air and light. New tenants were selected from 'those members of the working class with honorable reputations.' Though the junta continued to operate for over a decade, they undertook no further worker housing. This failure became a political issue in the next couple of years.
From Paulo Drinot, The Allure of Labor. Workers, Race, and the Making of the Peruvian State (2011)