The Digital Infra Structure Department (DI) of the Institute has a vacancy for a
Java/Python Developer (m/f)
Digital Infrastructure Department:
This department is focused on the development and implementation of projects in the area of (digital) scientific information products and services, which are of strategic importance to the institute. These projects are carried out by cross-departmental working groups that employ expertise from across the institute’s various departments. They have a strong international focus and regarding ICT are trend following and geared towards practical application. To strengthen our team, we seek an eager, inquisitive new addition with strong communication skills.
The IISG is dedicated to collecting and managing digital collections, including images, sound, books and datasets that form the basis for research projects. These vast collections must be permanently stored and offer researchers maximum accessibility. This demands an effective and flexible digital infrastructure that is well fitted to researchers’ various work processes.
To expand our team, we seek a developer capable of making a clear contribution to the development of the digital infrastructure and the development of tools across a variety of projects. Specific goals can vary depending on the project. A project can involve continued development and testing of suitable software and/or development of completely new applications.
Application and tool development takes place based on standards and Open Source frameworks and toolkits. Our standard approach to development involves an iterative development process (OTAP methodology). Long-term use and sustainable maintenance of our developed software is paramount. To this aim, thorough documentation and testing are crucial. We offer you a spot on an enthusiastic and ambitious team with room for your own initiative.
- You have a Bachelor's (or Master's) degree in computer engineering or computer science.
- You have demonstrable knowledge and experience (3 years) regarding effective application development.
- Additionally, you have very good programming skills (modular programming, JAVA/JSP/Python/Groovy; XML, XSL and XSLT; Django, Grails, Spring) and you have knowledge of and experience with open source database systems such as SQL, or No-SQL databases.
- (Basic) knowledge of Linux (Ubuntu/CentOs) is a requirement for this position.
- Strong affinity with open source software and tools as well as knowledge of and experience with indexing software are a prerequisite.
- You must be able to convert the demands of application owners into practical applications and you function effectively both independently and as part of a team.
The job calls for a pragmatic programmer with strong analytical abilities and a hands-on mentality. Additionally, you are driven, goal oriented, immune to stress and possess good communication/social skills. A good spoken and written command of Dutch and English is required.
Appointment and salary:
The position involves a temporary appointment with the IISH for 3 years. The gross salary ranges from € 2.652,- to € 3.996,- (scale 9/10 CAO-Dutch Universities) based on a full working week (38 hours) and depending on relevant work experience. The IISH offer an extensive package of fringe benefits, such as 8,3% year-end bonus, 8% holiday pay, a good pension scheme, 6 weeks holiday on an annual basis and the possibility to buy or sell vacation hours.
Please submit applications (letter and CV) before June 25, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Marjoleine Cornelissen Cornelissen (head Human Resources & Facilities) with the subject line “developer DI”. Further information can be obtained from the head Digital Infra Structure, Mario Mieldijk (email@example.com) or via tel. (0031)-(0)20-6685866.
You can find more information about IISH on our website: socialhistory.org.