On 17 May 1969, students occupied the administrative center of Amsterdam University called "Maagdenhuis". They demanded student participation at all institutional levels. The building on the Spui Square was cordoned off. Food and other essentials were brought in through a window and a makeshift bridge across the Handboogstraat.
The police ended the occupation in a violent way on 21 May.
Here the archives, photos and some sound documents from the IISH collections.
- Bezetting Maagdenhuis : een waarachtig klankbeeld, (.mp3, 13 Mb.)
- Gramophone record from Ketchup Record Producties, call number BG PK1/048 (13'45" min.)
- Songs from the Maagdenhuis, (.mp3, 12 Mb.)
- call number BG GC4/359 (12'20" min.)
- Radio broadcasts from the Maagdenhuis by the pirate radio station De Vrije Maagd [the Maiden of Liberty], (.mp3, 18 Mb.)
- call number BG GB1/611 (19'39" min.)
- IISH collections regarding the occupation of the Maagdenhuis
- pictures on the occupation of the Maagdenhuis
YouTube film by VPRO Geschiedenis TV